Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Feltie Making Tutorial


If you follow me on social media you know that I make lots of felt items. For those of you who have asked how I make them this tutorial is for you! Here is a picture of my feltie making supplies and I am going to go through each one so you can create your own felt masterpieces!

First draw your felt image. Nothing special just pen and paper is fine, then cut it out.

Now trace the image on to your felt. 



I use a white Gelly Roll pen or a regular ball point pen.


 For me the secret to making felties is having a great pair of scissors. I use these:

 
They are 4 inch Gingher Knife Edge Sewing scissors and are perfect for cutting felt. They are small which make it easy to cut intricate shapes and sharp so you get nice clean edges. They are a bit pricey, $30 at Joann Fabrics but they are wonderful and last very well.  I have been using these for several years and they are still like new, but I don’t cut paper with them only fabric or felt. Cutting paper with your good scissors is a no no! Don’t do it.

I use embroidery thread to sew my felt pieces. If you have never used embroidery thread it is made up of 6 strands which you separate into how ever many you want to sew with.  I pull out 2 strands to sew with and just hold or pin the piece in place and stitch it. 
 Here is the finished cloud.


 Hope that helps get you started on making your own felties! As always if you have any questions just ask! I am happy to help and I always welcome comments and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment