Monday, October 24, 2016

Equilateral Triangle Quilt Part 1-Cutting

A few months back I kept seeing equilateral triangle quilts on Pinterest. I loved them! Especially those made from solid fabrics. I usually gravitate toward cute prints, but the bright, simplicity, of some of these made me want to try something different. I have already chosen my fabrics, 6 in all- turquoise, pomegranate, grey, charcoal, pumpkin, and lime; all cut into 5 1/2" strips. Now the fun part cutting the triangles!

This is so easy to do you just use the marking on your quilting ruler and your rotary cutter. I want equilateral triangles so I find the 60 degree mark and line it up along the bottom of my fabric strip:
Now cut along the long side of the ruler.
Now rotate the ruler to the other 60 degree mark, line it up along the bottom of the fabric while simultaneously aligning the long edge of the ruler to the top of the now formed triangle.
Cut

Tada! Easy peasy triangles. Now just keep rotating your ruler lining up the 60 degree mark and continue cutting out triangles until you have the desired number. To make this faster you can cut multiple layers at once. Up next:  Part 2-Layout

No comments:

Post a Comment