Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Equilaterial Triangle Quilt Part 2-Layout

Now that I have cut my triangles I am ready to layout my quilt. I always do this on the floor.  Some people lay quilts out on their beds or a table but I prefer my freshly vacuumed dining room floor. I dont know why, but I can't layout a quilt on a bed. It's very awkward an uncomfortable for me.  However, crawling around on the floor is fine lol! I must be part monkey! So here is my quilt during layout. 

I just randomly placed my triangles row by row until the size was what I wanted. This is the point where I like to step back and really look at what I have done so far. I think of it the same way as looking at art work: up close to see details then back to view as a whole. I do this in two different ways. First, and probably the easiest and most accessible, is to take a picture with your phone.  Which is what I did in the above picture. Second, I have this handy little tool called a quilt viewer.  It is a reducing lens that lets you see what a quilt will look like from a distance.

It was one of my Tuesday Morning clearance finds (I believe it was a whopping 80 cents! I love a deal!) and has turned out pretty handy.  Also in case anyone was wondering no, I am in no way affiliated with Tuesday Morning nor did they compensate me in anyway for saying nice things about them. I just really like that store! So, here is what the quilt looks like through the viewer.


Pretty neat right? Again either way works. I just stumbled upon the viewer and though why not try it and thought I would share how it works, but you don't need it. The objective is simply to step back, look at it as a whole. This helps me see if I like the color placement and where to make changes.  Once I am happy with that I take another picture. I always take a picture of my final layout. This way if a piece gets moved, a pet decides to run through the room, or if I have to get it up out of the floor I can lay it right back out the way I wanted. Now its time for the next step: Piecing!

What do you think? I am pretty excited about it! I like how colorful it is.  Perfect for a bright nursery. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think, or if you have any questions or tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment