Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Equilateral Triangle Quilt Part 3- Piecing

Time to start putting this quilt together!  Today I am going to walk you through how I piece a quilt.  Piecing consists of sewing fabric together and pressing it, that's pretty much it.  When I work I try to space out my work stations and alternate tasks, otherwise my neck and shoulders tend to get stiff and sore. So I have my quilt laid out down stairs by my ironing board and my sewing machine upstairs. 

To keep things orderly, and because my machine is upstairs, I am going to work one row at a time  Here I am starting with a blue triangle and I am going to pin it to the charcoal triangle where I want to stitch it. 

I do this for the entire row, pinning one to another and then take the stack to my machine for sewing. I use cotton thread, a stitch length of 1.8, and sew a scant 1/4" seam using a 1/4" foot.
To make this process faster I chain pieced, which simply is continuously stitching one after the other without cutting my thread. It's really easy to do. As soon as one piece is finished take a few stitches before feeding the other piece into the machine.

Once I stitched all the pairs for that row I cut them apart.
Then I bring them to my ironing board for pressing.  First I press along the seam using a hot iron, no steam.
Then I open the pieces and press the seam to one side. I do this for each piece, making sure I press all seams in that row in the same direction.
Once pressed I then join those two pairs to each other, and on and on until I have a completed row.

This is the back, see how the seams are all pressed in the same direction.

Now I'm going to move on to the next row working in the same way except I am going to press my seams in the opposite direction as the first row. I am going to continue working in this manner until all my rows are sewn together.

Its starting to take shape! Like I said piecing is repetitive, but also rewarding when you start seeing all those pieces come together.  I am going to get to work finishing up those rows and will continue as soon as they are completed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment